Update on campus leadership

I’m delighted to inform you that I will be serving as president of The University of Texas at Austin through the 2014-2015 academic year and the coming legislative session, after which I will return to teaching and my faculty position in the Law School.

I am deeply grateful to Chairman Foster and Chancellor Cigarroa for their leadership of The University of Texas System and for working together on this plan. It is truly in the best interest of the university, our students, faculty, staff and alumni. It will allow me to continue to build on our student success initiatives, complete our $3 billion capital campaign, and bring the Dell Medical School closer to reality over the next year while ensuring a smooth transition to my successor. It will also allow me to work with elected officials in the 84th Texas Legislature.

Most of all, I want to thank all of you for your tireless support of our university. Serving as president of The University of Texas at Austin has been the highest honor of my life. Even more, the friendship and support of alumni and friends has been a great blessing for me, Kim, and our family.

Thank you and Hook ’em!

Bill's Signature

Stanzione to lead Texas Advanced Computing Center

One of UT Austin’s premier research units is the Dan C. Stanzione Jr. has been named executive director of TACC. Dan has served as deputy director since June 2009 and assumed his new post July...

Court rules for UT Austin in Fisher case

This afternoon, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit announced its decision in the case of Fisher vs. the University of Texas at Austin, which had been remanded to the Fifth Circuit by...

Comments

1. Fatemeh Enayati says:

Dear President Powers,
    Congratulations and thank you for all that you have done for The University of Texas at Austin. I’m delighted to hear this news.

Warm regards,
    Fatemeh Enayati

2. Gilbert Garcia, Jr. says:

I am glad that you are staying on a while longer and may get to see many of the projects started under your presidency to fruition. You will leave UT-Austin in much better shape than when you arrived. I am truly sorry for all the political intrigue you were subjected to. The law school will be getting a tremendous faculty member. Good luck to you.

3. Jim Whitton says:

Thank you Bill.

Thank you for what will be over nine years of dedicated service in an often thankless job. Thank you for standing up to those among the Regents who believe their primary loyalty is to their politcal patron rather than to the University and its System. Thank you for protecting the University’s mission, standing and legacy.

Thank you,

Debbie and Jim Whitton

4. Edward and Harriet Schmitt Livingston says:

Dr. Powers: Although we profoundly regret the fiasco you have been subjected, we are equally grateful for the leadership you have given UT Austin. You have served us superbly. Some, who are not UT alumni, do not understand that being a Longhorn is a commitment to excellence, and anything less is unacceptable. It is our preference, that you remain long after June 2015, and those causing this disruption are retired.

5. Donald Breeding BBA '62 says:

Dear Dr. Powers:
    I have over the years been a proud Texas alumnus and donor until these terrible political events started to occur. Your adroit handling of the situation has restored my faith in the University leadership. Many of the Regents and the Chancellor should reevaluate their role of setting policy which is in the best interest of the University. Recent actions on their part call into serious question whether they are more motivated by politics rather than the welfare of students and professors.
    I will now resume donating to the University because of your integrity, professionalism and dedication to our school.
    Thank you for displaying what true leadership looks like!

6. I believe that Dr. Powers has done an excellent job as President of “our” University. Frankly, since the State gives us so little financial support, I think we ought to be free from the Legislature/Governor/Regent’s influence. We can do better, for sure.
    Thank you, Dr. Powers, for doing a great job in spite of continued and unwarranted criticism!

7. President Powers…thank you for all your contributions to The University of Texas throughout your tenure and we look forward to seeing the many more accomplishments in the remaining months. Your commitment to the university, UT students, faculty, and alumni is commendable! I wish you the very best!

Hook’em Horns!

8. George Christian says:

Dear Bill,

You have inspired me since I took your Product Liability course in 1984. Next to my father, I can’t think of a person whose integrity and wisdom I admire more.

Hook’em!

George Christian

9. Congratulations!!

You have fought the good fight.

Texas A&M does not yet rule over UT Austin.

10. Not a Liberal says:

Dear Bill,
    You should have been fired. You have done nothing good for this university yet everyone has been brainwashed to like you. Everyone likes to point fingers at the board yet no one is pointing a finger at you for being unwilling to work with the board. Your unethical admission policy and treatment of conservative students should have had you fired a long time ago.

11. Donna Fisher says:

Thank you, President Powers, for your tireless efforts to take the University of Texas to even higher academic heights and more widespread research. Your work has been inspiring and always in the best interests of the University.

12. Stewart Newton says:

Dear Bill, I’m glad you were able to reach an agreement for this next year. We appreciate the job you do. I’ll make sure Cole comes to see you when the Fall Semester starts, like you asked.

Thanks.
    Stewart Newton

13. Andre Bui says:

Thank you for your tireless efforts in attempting to preserve the distinct culture and prestige that UT Austin has. I am grateful that you will be able to serve your term until the end of upcoming academic year. I am more fearful for the future of UT than ever before, considering that this attempt at ousting you is one more step closer to turning UT into a degree mill, rather than trying to preserve and increase its stature as a tier 1 research university. I hope that you will be able to see your plans come to fruition, and I dearly hope that you will be heavily involved in naming your successor in order to ensure that no more meddling by idiot regents and chancellors will harm the great reputation at UT.

14. Rose Sinclair says:

Great news – thank you for your patience and for your excellent leadership. It’s time to move on – Hook ‘Em!

• Creighton Chandler says:

If the leadership was so “excellent,” why would you say time to move on? Seems you don’t know what the university is being moved on towards by Perry and his sycophants. If you did, you wouldn’t contradict yourself in your comment.

15. Julie Newton says:

Dear President Powers,

Thank you for all that you have done for The University of Texas at Austin. I appreciate your strong belief to finish what you have started. It has been our honor to know you and know that you were our president while both our children are attending this great university.

God Bless you and your family.

Warm regards,

Julie Newton

16. Dianne Dies Schoch says:

Dear President Powers,
    As a UT volunteer for the Fine Arts for many years,, a UT graduate and donor, I’ve been saddened by the debacle which has finally put to rest. My husband ‘s grandfather,
    DrEugene. P. Schoch, Sr.,founded the Dept. of Chemical Engineering, as well as the
    Longhorn Band. He even played and marched with them. We have not agreed with
    the Regents on many points, and are proud of what you’ve accomplished.

Hopefully, you have seen how the alumnae have rallied in your favor, as well as the
    students and citizens? It should make you feel wonderful. It has sent a message!

My brother, Martin , is a big fan, as you know. Thank you for your continued service!

Dianne Dies Schoch

17. I am happy to hear that you were able to reach an accommodation with Chancellor Ciggarroa that will allow you to finish your term with dignity and a smooth transition. As an alumnus, I thank you for your extraordinary and visionary leadership. I am glad to hear, as well, that you will return to the law school. Hook ‘em, Horns!

18. Pauline Lopez says:

President Powers: This update has made our day! We are so happy for the great news. Please know that we appreciate all the work that you have accomplished for the good of our great University that includes so many of us.
    Thank you and all your family.
    Pauline and Clement Lopez

19. Kevin Lippman says:

President Powers, it is good to see you leave on your terms, and thank you for your strong leadership. You have made The University of Texas at Austin a better institution.

20. Dr. Powers, tearfully I read your gracious update. I am glad that you’ll be remaining President through 2015, but am devastated and disgusted by recent actions of the Board and the Chancellor. You are “a class act” and an exceptional leader, and it will go down in history as a travesty that such a remarkable educator, administrator, visionary and individual has been forced out by those who are threatened by greatness and would have everyone reduced to mediocrity. I wish the best for you, Dr. Powers, and am so grateful for all that you are doing and have done for the university. I only hope that U.T.’s excellence and reputation survive this fiasco, and I see that you have done everything you could to promote that happening. Betty (Please do not publish my last name.)

21. Jahiz Barlas says:

Bitter sweet… glad to see President Powers stay another year but sad to see him leave after the next academic year.

President Powers has done more for this University than anyone and his love for UT is unmatchable. I salute President Powers for everything he has endured for UT.

Thank you President Powers and, as always, Hook’ em Horns!

• J Richard McMillan says:

I am pleased that President Powers has agreed to remain on the faculty of the law school. The Chancellor exhibited his petty personality in precipitating an unnecessary confrontation.

Bill Powers is responsible for elevating the law school to national preeminence, for the formation of the Dell Medical School in Austin which had been thwarted by UTSW and the Chancellor for several years.

I agree wholeheartedly with your post.

J Richard McMillan, Attorney
      and proud graduate of the University of Texas,
      School of Law

22. Lisa Crider, BBA '81 says:

You are a much bigger, better man than anyone on the board of regents. Thank you for all you have done for the university.

23. Kristen Harris says:

Dear Bill,
    I can’t tell you how happy I am with this outcome. I was very concerned upon returning from a meeting in Greece when I read about the difficult situation you faced — we all faced.
    This is terrific news of a reasonable transition.
    Congratulations,
    Kristen Harris, Neuroscience