Among the many ways we reward excellent teaching on the Forty Acres none is more special to me than the induction of new members into the Academy of Distinguished Teachers. My own induction in 1997 will always be one of the highlights of my career.
Each year, deans nominate professors for membership, and a committee including members of the academy, students, and other faculty recommend a slate of honorees to the provost, who makes the final selections. Established in 1995, the academy honors members with the permanent designation of “University Distinguished Teaching Professor.”
Tonight, seven professors will join that 5 percent of tenured faculty who comprise the academy, modeling excellence and providing leadership in our continuous quest to improve undergraduate education:
- Sharon Jarvis of Communication Studies
- Yale N. Patt of Electrical and Computer Engineering
- Michael W. Downer of Physics
- Jay L. Banner of Geological Sciences
- Marjorie C. Woods of English
- Anna E. “Beth” Maloch of Curriculum and Instruction
- Charles “Josh” Holahan of Psychology
With tonight’s additions, 121 faculty members have been recognized as University Distinguished Teaching Professors. I often say our faculty is the best, which makes our academy members the best of the best.
Thank you for all you do to make The University of Texas at Austin world class.