Our Own Academy Awards

Academy of Distinguished Teachers Medallion

Among the many ways we reward excellent teaching on the Forty Acres none is more special to me than the induction of new members into the Academy of Distinguished Teachers. My own induction in 1997 will always be one of the highlights of my career.

Each year, deans nominate professors for membership, and a committee including members of the academy, students, and other faculty recommend a slate of honorees to the provost, who makes the final selections. Established in 1995, the academy honors members with the permanent designation of “University Distinguished Teaching Professor.”

Tonight, seven professors will join that 5 percent of tenured faculty who comprise the academy, modeling excellence and providing leadership in our continuous quest to improve undergraduate education:

• Sharon Jarvis of Communication Studies
  • Yale N. Patt of Electrical and Computer Engineering
  • Michael W. Downer of Physics
  • Jay L. Banner of Geological Sciences
  • Marjorie C. Woods of English
  • Anna E. “Beth” Maloch of Curriculum and Instruction
  • Charles “Josh” Holahan of Psychology

With tonight’s additions, 121 faculty members have been recognized as University Distinguished Teaching Professors. I often say our faculty is the best, which makes our academy members the best of the best.

Thank you for all you do to make The University of Texas at Austin world class.

Bill's Signature

Honoring UT's Inventors

To most people, the word inventor conjures up an Enlightenment figure or father of the Industrial Revolution toiling alone in his workshop or laboratory. But, of course, inventions did not just occur in the past. Our...

New Leadership at the Law School

By now many of you are aware of my decision last week to ask our law dean to step down. On Thursday, I thanked Larry Sager for his service over the last five years and...

Comments

1. So. . . .

Not one word of commentary or explanation regarding lavish “forgivable loans?”

In case nobody has informed you, the entire University is in an uproar.

2. The creation of the Academy of Distinguished Teachers in 1995 was one of the best initiatives launched during my 33 years as a UT faculty member. If this does not speak to UT’s ongoing commitment to teaching excellence, I am not sure what does. On a personal note, I am proud of my colleague Sharon Jarvis who was just inducted—I still remember her days as a graduate student. Sharon joins three others in my department, (Communication Studies, a department comprised of many outstanding teachers and mentors), who are members of the Academy. Bravo to all!