Marine Science Institute Completes Major Addition

Estuarine Research Center

Estuarine Research Center

During the heat of summer, our thoughts naturally turn toward the coast. And I’m delighted to announce the opening of a major new research facility at UT Austin’s Marine Science Institute in Port Aransas.

This building designed for sustainability expands the research capacity of the Marine Science Institute with three floors of state-of-the-art marine laboratories. It also is the headquarters for the Mission-Aransas National Estuarine Research Reserve (NERR), a 185,708-acre area of estuarine habitat established in 2006 by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and managed by the institute.

The Marine Science Institute is a gem in our collection of academic and research units. I’m proud of the vital work its faculty and staff do every day, and I want to thank and congratulate institute director Lee Fuiman on this major accomplishment.

Learn more about it at here.

I hope you’re all having a safe and enjoyable summer.

Hook ’em Horns,

Bill's Signature

Bottom Line for UT from the 82nd Legislature

Now that the 82nd Legislature and its subsequent special session are over, I’d like to give you an update. The Legislature passed bills that are designed to make textbooks more affordable to our students, to...

Not Your Standard “Lighting the Tower Orange”

If you live in Austin, you might have noticed that the Tower looked a little different Wednesday night. With the help of our long-time marketing partner GSD&M, we turned the Tower in to a spinning,...

Comments

1. Very awesome!!! =) I imagine that this will be useful for the marine science department, marine biology, and environmental science students, researchers, and more!! Will the facility accommodate public tours?