Honoring Our Outstanding Staff

This is Staff Appreciation Week on the UT campus.

People often tell me that our campus is one of their favorite places.  It’s certainly one of mine.  Our staff members play an enormous role in making UT a welcoming environment where a tremendous amount of teaching, research, and public service is accomplished.

SAW-Logo

The percentage of UT Austin’s budget spent on administrative costs (5.5%) is about half of the average for Texas public universities.  This is only possible by having a productive and efficient staff.  We have been working hard during the past several years to do more with fewer resources, and we will continue the process this year.  I know this creates some anxiety, and our staff—who did not receive raises this fiscal year and who do not enjoy tenure—are most affected by budget cuts. 

I want to say thank you to every member of the University staff.  And I encourage my colleagues to do so. 

I’m looking forward to attending the Staff Service Awards ceremony at 2 p.m. on Thursday, May 6.  In addition to those receiving Service Awards, the recipients of the Outstanding Staff and Supervisor Awards will also be recognized.

My personal message to our staff:  UT would not be the special place it is without you.

Bill's Signature

Nobel Laureate and Alumnus J. M. Coetzee Returns to UT

“In September 1965 (this is an essay that can begin no other way), I sailed into New York harbor aboard an Italian ship, once a troopship, now crammed with young folk from foreign parts come...

Confronting a Budget Challenge

You may see some media reports about budget cuts at UT.  These cuts are largely confined to administrative units.  The Office of the President, for example, has reduced its budget by 8 percent.  Here is a...

Comments

1. Benjamin Bond says:

President Powers,

Thank you for posting this great message to and about UT Austin staff. I think most staff members consider UT Austin a special place as well. Many staff members are alumni. Some continue their education here. Some have children that attend. For others, it’s just a cool environment to be in.

Whatever the reason, many staff members think this is a great place to work. When you consider that many employees throughout the nation consider their workplace as “just a place to collect a paycheck”, the connection between UT Austin staff and this campus is powerful. In my opinion, this is a primary reason we operate so efficiently. UT Austin staff care! When all of us – students, faculty, and staff – work together, UT Austin is indeed a very special place.

Thank you again for your great message during Staff Appreciation Week!

Benjamin Bond
    Chair
    UT Austin Staff Council